What is breast lift surgery?
The breast area, which is extremely important in terms of aesthetic appearance, can deform rapidly due to processes such as weight gain and loss or breastfeeding. In some cases, aging and loss of the elastic structure of the tissues can cause a significant change in the appearance of the breasts. In this case, the method that is used and allows the desired image to be easily achieved is breast lift surgery.
Under normal conditions, the area called the nipple should be located at a point above the breast fold line. However, for reasons we have already mentioned, the nipple may be below the fold line of the breast or at the level of the fold line. The operation applied to correct this situation is called breast lift operation.
In breast lift operations, the nipple is positioned in an area above the breast fold line. Shaping the breast tissue and removing excess tissue is also one of the parts of breast lift surgery.
If breast lift surgeries are performed on individuals with small breasts, there may not be enough tissue to shape the breast. In this case, implants can be used to help the breast achieve the desired shape.
Breast lift surgery, which can be applied to people of almost all ages, is also called breast tightening. In order to get the maximum benefit from the operation and to maintain this benefit for many years, people should be at their ideal weight before the operation and maintain this weight after the operation.
In which cases is breast lift surgery performed?
Among the situations where breast lift surgeries are preferred are the following:
- Sagging breast tissues due to too much weight gain and loss
- Increased breast volume during pregnancy causing deformation of the breasts with the end of the breastfeeding period
- Sagging breasts due to breastfeeding
- Sagging breasts due to gravity
- Loss of elasticity of breast tissue due to age
- Wrong bra use
- Accidents and traumas
- One breast is congenitally lower than the other breast
Who can have breast lift surgery?
In order to undergo breast lift surgery, the patient must be over 18 years of age. However, if breast lift surgery is required due to a medical necessity, there is no age limit. Apart from this, the following are among the people who can undergo breast lift surgery:
- Significant shape changes of the breasts after pregnancy and lactation
- Breast sagging earlier than expected due to the fact that people with large breasts are more exposed to gravity
- In order to undergo breast lift surgery, the patient must be both physically and psychologically healthy.
- It is applied for people who are uncomfortable with the appearance or size of their breasts.
- Suitable for people who do not plan a pregnancy.
How is breast lift surgery performed?
Two different methods are used in breast lift surgeries, also called mastopexy. The patient's breast size is important in determining the method to be used. While silicone implants are used to lift small breasts, excess tissue must be removed to lift large breasts.
The process of breast lift surgery starts with people applying to the doctor with this request. The examination is then carried out. During the examination, the position of the nipple and the degree of sagging will be determined. Patients are then informed about the procedures to be performed during the operation and it is ensured that the patient's wishes are clearly understood.
A computer simulation is used to determine whether the patient's wishes are fully understood. With this simulation, the patient's current appearance and the appearance to be obtained after surgery are created. Thanks to the patient's notification of the points that they do not find suitable at this time, the desired image can be obtained exactly after the operation. The final stage for planning the surgery is for the patient to undergo examinations that will provide the necessary information about the general health status of the patient. If it is decided that the operation will not cause a health problem for the patient, the operation day is planned. The stages of the surgery are as follows:
- Breast lift surgeries are performed under general anesthesia.
- The nipple is placed in the previously determined position.
- The breast is reshaped.
- At this stage, breast implants are applied to small breasts to give them the desired shape.
- Excess tissue is removed from larger breasts.
- The operation takes 2 hours to complete.
- After the operation, the patient is awakened and taken to his/her room.
- After the operation, the patient is observed to feed and walk.
- After making sure that there is no health problem, the patient is discharged on the day of the operation.
How does the healing process progress after breast lift surgery?
The following steps await patients in the process after breast lift surgery:
- 3 days after surgery. Within hours, the patient can start feeding and walking.
- Patients can take a shower 2 days after surgery unless otherwise stated by the doctor.
- 3 days after surgery. A visit to the doctor is required daily for dressing and removal of stitches.
- Depending on the patient's state of health, the 4th postoperative period The day can be returned to daily life.
- At this stage, it is recommended that people who have a baby should not hold their babies in their arms.
- Driving should be started 2 weeks after surgery.
- Patients should not engage in sportive activities for the first 3 weeks after surgery. During this time, care should also be taken not to raise the arm to head level.
- A sports bra should be used to protect the breast area for 3 weeks after surgery.
- 4 days after surgery. Sports activities can be started during the week. However, movements that exercise the arm and chest muscles should not be performed during this period.
- You should not swim in the sea or pool within 40 days after the operation.
- It takes 3 months for the breasts to take their final form.
- The follow-up appointments after surgery are 3. and 6. It is planned in months.
- At the end of the first year, mammography and ultrasound are required to examine the breast tissue.
What should be considered after breast lift surgery?
After breast surgery, patients should be especially careful to avoid heavy physical movements. Patients do not need to rest in bed after surgery, but they should be cautious in their movements.
Patients are recommended to lie on their backs within 4 weeks after surgery. During this period, it is especially important to avoid lying face down. The dressing is usually not renewed at the first postoperative check-up. Instead, the condition of the stitches is checked and if no problems are observed, patients are allowed to take a shower.
Finally, in order for the results of the surgery to be successful, the bra recommended by the doctor should be used regularly for the first 6-8 weeks after surgery.
Non-surgical breast lift
Creams and various massage techniques are among the first things that come to mind when it comes to non-surgical breast lift. In addition, there are also exercise movements and various devices that are claimed to help the breasts become more erect. However, the fact is that the only successful method for positioning the nipple above the breast fold is breast lift surgery.
The biggest reason why various exercises and devices do not provide any benefit in breast lift is that there is no connection between the breast tissue and the chest muscles. For this reason, although it is possible to develop and strengthen the muscles in the chest wall with the exercises, this does not make the breasts erect.